Thursday, March 13, 2008

The Eleanor Roosevelt Blanket

Here's my latest baby blanket. I was making it for a baby themed eBay listing, but I can't decide. It didn't really come out like I had wanted it to.

It's pretty, but it just looks a bit matronly to me. I was hoping for a more modern hip look. That's the think with handcut chenile, sometimes you just don't know how it's going to turn out till after you wash it.

I'm naming this blanket pattern the Eleanor Roosevelt. It's a beautiful blanket, and the texture is superb. With the chenilling on both sides it feels just amazing, and pictures just can't do it justice. When I think of Eleanor Roosevelt I think of a stately, refined, grandmotherly type. When I look at this blanket. I just think Eleanor Roosevelt.




The blanket is made of 4 layers of Flannel, and one layer of machine washable satin.

Here's how I made the blanket.

Keep in mind this is my original copyright Camille McClelland 2008 design, please do not duplicate for sale or profit.

I made the blanket by layering the flanel and satin, and then applying to the satin, flowers cut out of flannel. Some are a single layer thick, and some are up to 3 layers thick. I pinned each flower in place and then proceeded to stitch rows on my sewing machine about every 1/4 inch. After all the stiching was complete I cut the flannel between each row of stitches, including the flower pattern on the front of the blanket.

On the reverse side I cut through only 3 layers of the flannel leaving one layer of flannel and the satin uncut. This gives the blanket more stability than if I had only left the satin uncut.

After all the cutting is complete, attach the binding around the edge. I used the same blue satin.

Once the binding is secure, wash and dry the blanket. This is my favorit part because up till now you've put hours into the blanket, with no real idea on how the finished blanket is going to look. My very favorite part is taking the blanket out of the dryer for the first time.

If you have any weird loose threads, trim them and then you're finished!

In case you're wondering the last picture includes a piece of the top layer of flannel so you can see how it looked BEFORE it was cut and washed.

Pretty cool huh!























8 comments:

Kindall Klan said...

I *love* it! I think it should definitely go up on ebay! Great job!!!

mandbrid said...

It's fantastic Cam...very modern looking. Really makes me want to pull out my sewing machine...

Amber H. said...

Cam, that is B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L!!! I don't think it looks matronly at all, it just looks fantastic! I love that you even added in that swirly thing that's so popular right now in scrapbooking! I can't wait to see your complete auction! This is just great :o) It makes me wish I had some need for a blanket like that, or could make one for myself! Anyway, good luck and GREAT job, it's wonderful!

Kristi M. said...

So gorgeous!! I love it! Makes me want to have a girl and bid on it. Amazing how the cut and washed fabric looks so different. So cool!

By the way, do you know what you are having yet?

Anonymous said...

beautiful. gorgous...i wouldn't expect anything less coming from you!
love kat

Shelley said...

WOW! it is absolutely beautiful. Don't put it up for sale, keep it for yourself. If I were you, I'd have a hard time letting it go. But then again, whoever wins it will love and cherish it.

Tammy said...

Camille, I absolutely LOVE it. The colours are so nice, and unique. I'm sure it would sell well, that is, if you can part with it ;-).
Tammy

Wendy a.k.a. Ragtags said...

Your blanket is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING Cam! I've come back to look at it 3 times now and each time I want it more!
It's beautiful and your workmanship is impeccable. I can't imagine a more impressive shower gift then one of your sets. It isn't matronly; it's chic.

WONDERFUL JOB Cam!

~Wendy