Monday, February 9, 2009

The Heart Attack Monte Cristo Sandwich...


... You don't want to know how good this sandwich is.. You really don't.

You'll love it, even if you don't like Monte Cristo sandwiches... even if you don't like, The Count of Monte Cristo, movie. and you'll want to eat them a lot... but don't.. This is one of those "once a year" meals, when you really want to cheat, and make it count.

Start with a really flavorful bread. I've used sourdough, but I prefer a hearty roasted garlic artisan bread. If you're using regular loaf sized bread cut the sandwiches in half. One half = one serving... trust me.


Add one slice of swiss cheese, and one to two slices or deli ham.


Then add the top slice of bread and using the heal of your hand flatten the sandwich as much as you can. Really flatten the sucker out. It's not possible to make it too flat.

In a large bowl mix 1 cup Bisquick, 1 egg, about 3/4 cup milk and about 1/2 tablespoon crushed rosemary. The consistency should be similar to crepe batter.


Heat about 3 inches of oil in a large pot to about 375 degrees. You know.. Aim for the donut line..


Next dip your smashed sandwich into the batter. Cover both sides and the edges.

Fry the sucker for about 15-30 seconds on each side. Till it's golden brown. Remove to paper towels to absorb the excess oil.


Then, this is the part that makes the sandwich to die for, HEAVILY coat the sandwich with powdered sugar on both sides.
Slice and serve with fresh fruit or veggies, you know for a balanced meal. Enjoy the crisp, sweet and savory outside; and salty, ooey, gooey, cheesy, goodness on the inside. Your mouth will thank you and your love handles will feel nourished.

Enjoy, but only once a year...

7 comments:

Emi said...

interesting.
hm.
I'll have to take your word for it. I hate swiss cheese and don't eat ham. but powdered sugar?
hm..

Melanie: said...

I have had this only once. Apparently Disneyland serves the best Monte Cristo's...I had a bite of Justin's in November and it was heavenly!

Shawna said...

I am soooo hungry right now. Tammy's Tea House in Meridian makes a mean Monte Cristo, too! I think I just made lunch plans with myself!!! (Thank goodness I didn't throw away my 'fat pants' just yet!)

mandbrid said...

You've gotta be kidding?!?

Wow.

You'd better invite me over next time.

Laura said...

TO DIE FOR!! YUMEE!! I had the one at Disneyland and they served it with a raspberry sauce!! AH! My mouth is watering!!
I'm already fat so this is just one more thing to indulge and ENJOY! :)

Amanda said...

I've had one of these at Tami's Tea House as well back when it was called Cottage Expressions. It's been a while so now I'm craving one. Thanks for that. :(

And I don't like swiss cheese either so I just get it with another cheese.

Kristi M. said...

I too have tried these at Tammy's Tea House in Meridian and they were so good! I never really thought to figure out how I could make these. A new thing to make.