Thursday, January 8, 2009

From Grrrrrr.... to great!

Bound and determined not to allow the past several days to go to waste I got up determined to fix my jacket.

So without further delay, here is the before...

There is suppose to be a button there in the front, but I used an old vintage button, and I guess it was a little too old cause when I went to button the jacket the button broke. I also felt like the button hole was set too far back... when the button was buttoned it didn't lay right, but sort of stuck out in the front.

You won't be able to tell in the picture, but I actually accidentally made two right sleeves... You see the fabric is a weave, so it looks exactly the same on both sides. I wasn't paying attention and ended up with a finished jacket with one arm going the wrong way.

Now, there is probably someone out there reading right now,with two right arms, who has the hardest time shopping, and can't sew (due to the arm thing obviously) is probably thinking, "yes! I SO am going to email her and ask for the jacket!" Well sorry dude, I took the sleeve off and made a left sleeve.

Next, the pattern had this cute flower application on the side. I really liked it on the pattern, really liked it when I was making it and attaching it to the jacket.

Really did not like it when I put the jacket on.. Sorry for the crappy picture. I didn't realize it didn't come out till after I had finished all the changes... so it's not like I was going to reattach it just to take a better pic. Anyway, I think the blurriness kind of sort of helps...

You'll also note at the base of the hem that the liner underneath is all messed up and pulling on the jacket. The liner was weird all the way around and on the sleeves too.


Drum roll.... Here is the new fixed jacket!

First, as I already mentioned I fixed the sleeve, which made a HUGE difference.


After that, I removed the remains of the button, and added a second button hole on the reverse lapel. I love the ribbon closure! I favorite part? the ribbon is not attached to I change it to coordinate with that I'm wearing. I can dress it up with a satin ribbon, or down with a polka-dot grosgrain ribbon. Love it.

I took all those silly flowers and stacked them on top of each other and stitched them together at the center. Then I pinned them on the lapel. Way better. Nice and casual, and I can remove it for versatility.

And finally I reattached the liner, correctly this time, so it all lays right.

Now, I love it. I have some place to go tonight and I'll give you just one guess what I'll be wearing...









9 comments:

mandbrid said...

LOVE IT!!!! You did a great job...love the ribbon and flower too.

Ali said...

okay so we're like BFF and all and I know you sooo well but hey... I had NO idea you could sew THAT well. WOW! I adore your new jacket, it's fantastic Cam. So much for my cushion covers I made the other day, I'm such an amature!
Love you, super-sewer (okay I'm feeling a tad illiterate, that is meant to be like a person who sews not something that collects waste from the bathroom... just incase it's spelt wrong, lol )

Kristi M. said...

The first version was pretty cute but the final version is FANTASTIC!! I love it. The ribbon is perfect and the flower pin is such a great idea.

Amanda said...

Holy cow that is so cool that you made that! I love the color and how you made it so versatile to be dressy or casual. Great job on improving the look. The after pictures are sweet. (And I laughed my head off about the two right sleeves. Sounds like something I would do.)

Amber H. said...

Looks great Cam, I'm glad you are happy with it now!

Emi said...

nice. glad it worked out

Kim said...

Your jacket looks great!

Princess Jessie Pants said...

Your 'new' jacket is adorable!! I l.o.v.e. it!! So creative you are... :)

Dustin & Jenn Hamann said...

Hello of course it looks great, just like I was saying. Your work is always amazing! I was looking at those arms and still couldn't tell any problems. It looks fun to wear!!!